View Single Post
Old 11-25-2020, 07:54 AM   #363
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Whether she needs on or not, she looks to have dug herself into some real clyde-level analysis paralysis on the choice at first glance, but upon review, it seems much more clear that there's even more clyde-like self-sabotage going on. WDC wants a new BMW SUV, but doesn't want to spend what it will cost today, so keeps looking at other things and kind of trying to talk herself into them even thought they're not really what she wants. The only two things that fix that are 1) spend the money or 2) let it go and move on. (and yes, that's advice for myself, too)

I could be way wrong about all of that. Most of all, if there's an actual need for an additional vehicle "now," a beater could be the best idea. But a real beater. This is why:

A real beater is an appliance that serves the practical need when you need it while not needing care about appearance, broken/torn/worn things that don't prevent safe and reliable operation (even then, allow some wiggle room), and the driving experience is a byproduct...all at a cost that if it dies and leaves you stranded somewhere in the first year, you'll literally walk away from it with no hard feelings as you start looking for the next one.

Anything resembling "new" is not a beater. Low five figures is not a beater.
This. And, I am not interested in being stranded in an old car on a highway with my two dogs and kid. I have never been interested in that. And, have to admit, it happened in our E70 X5 before it was very elderly or high mileage.

My other issues with the new BMW is i have a very young, green, annoying salesman I also appear stuck with at the biggest dealership here. Takes forever to get information/quotes, then it’s incomplete or riddled with errors. So, I’m frustrated on that score, too. I probably would have ordered some time ago had I been able to get a straight answer from him.

I suspect the only beater I may buy (or co-buy) will be for my son in a few years.

I liked the Mazda; didn’t love it. And that may be OK for now. The price is right.

I still need to drive the Audi wagon, which would be cheaper than a discounted 6-cylinder X3 and potentially easier to live with in hauling dogs around—my prime, recurrent need right now. But there’s an inventory problem on that score. The 2020s are gone (except for some stray A6 wagons) and the 2021s have not come in in any quantity. One comes in; and gets bought. Then it starts all over again.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote