View Single Post
Old 10-17-2018, 02:36 PM   #1
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Cars I don't want to want

In between meetings at work, so a counterpoint to the other thread. Cars that I nearly constantly think about, and which I wish I could get out of my subconscious.

1) Third gen RX-7. Have driven a few over the years and been very underwhelmed, but the shape of these calls to me without fail roughly once a year. I have no practical (or impractical, even) use for one. And they're expensive now, even for junky ones. and they're all junky, because they were junky when Mazda built them. But I really want one. If I were rich, I'd have one to park in the garage and look at. Not to drive. Because, you know, you want to get home.

2) Another E36 M3. Coupe. No sunroof. Manual seats. Preferably in white or yellow (sorry, Bren). I loved driving Nick's with the Euro swap, but the gearing was all wrong and I'd need to swap in a faster ratio steering rack. But I would totally daily drive the hell out of one of these... and then rapidly remember why I sold my '95, which yes I'm glad you asked I sold because they're kind of clunky cars with interiors that disintegrate. But they're from that era where BMW made pretty simple, analog cars with airy interiors. Every modern (turbo) BMW I've driven has been not very enjoyable (laggy DBW throttle, soggy engine mapping and turbo response, unengaging noises, disconnected steering, suspect reliability).

3) Mazda RX-8. This is going to sound weird, because I have one, but I can't get the thought of a street-legal RX-8 out of my head. Not with a Renesis, because... no. Cheap V8 swap is the easy button, but I do worry that it would ruin the feel of the car a little bit. People are starting to swap GM V6s into these cars, but ... yeah, no. Nevermind that I don't have time to build a street RX-8 with an engine swap. I still want one. And I don't want to.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote