View Single Post
Old 01-21-2011, 10:34 PM   #5
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
You've got to specify what you mean by JCW. I've never driven the dealer-installed power package, but I never really felt like my car needed more power so I didn't really see the point of spending the coin on the upgrade. The factory, full on JCW car goes to 11 compared to the S, but IMHO it trades a smidge of low end driveability for the extra power...and it has a LOT more torque steer.

For what you are looking for (a commuter primarily driven by your gf), I'd guess that the R56S in standard trim is just about perfect. The JCW package is probably overkill, and the JCW car is really overkill.
You are spot on. JCW is overkill for her mega-mile commute (with 17's, summer tires, extra cost, etc). But we found (and drove) this one, and I really quite enjoyed it:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...r_id=288981048

The cream/white door insert clashed a bit with the red seats, but otherwise it's a very nice build. I'd prefer red, blue, green etc, but white is ok with red leather/cloth seats. By now I've done some research and see that LSD is no longer available. This car has pretty much every option but nav.

However, as a porsche upgrade is potentially in the cards as well, it's quite a bit of expense (along with the new a4 we bought a little over a year ago)... Something has got to go, perhaps I could sell the a4. Of course gf wouldn't let me sell the a4 to get her a JCW, that's not how she operates.

I mean I quite like the a4, but I get to have one car I love already. The a4 has always been a cerebral, rational choice for me. Quiet and competent. Efficient long distance machine and unbeatable snow tank. It only really becomes fun in the white stuff (like a random squall this afternoon) or some horrible rainstorm. When the going gets tough, that car wakes up and starts kicking butt.

And then how do we go skiing? In a mini? Will it even be as good as a heavier, RWD 330i in deeper snow. Doubt it. I guess then I could approximate the FC strategy and buy a cheaper, beater awd/winter car to skiing or to beat around in.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote