View Single Post
Old 06-08-2020, 02:39 PM   #114
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
A very loaded used 2018 X5 with under 400 miles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
‘Fil: had you continued to own that v8 the 4th and 5th years might have been brutal, from what I can see from my neighbor’s experience.

So the new N63 successor engine —this also have a hot-vee design but somehow they’ve addressed this?

Why would you want a red-hot turbo impeller near your cylinder heads? Other than packaging.

Doesn’t this seem bad?

Yea, that’s the biggest reason I was happy to lease and return the car. It was totally reliable for me the time I had it, and I even posted here after I turned it in that the dealer retail price had dropped enough that it piqued my curiosity enough to try and find a way to back door around the BMW lease end purchase restrictions. I just couldn’t overcome the fear of engine reliability longer term. The tech/Idrive differences for 2016 vs. 2017 sealed the deal for me. I think the dealer ended up selling it for about what I paid for the 340.

They’ve also done a couple of updates already. My 2016 had the TU version, and they’ve already done a TU2 and TU3 which I have in my X5.