View Single Post
Old 06-08-2020, 02:16 PM   #112
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
BMW V8s have always been higher maintenance. I remember in my dealership days that the E38/E39 540s and 740s from the 90s had oil leaks and required replacing valley pan and valve cover gaskets. The motor ran well but required higher level of maintenance vs. the 6 cylinders. (And let’s not even talk about the Nikasil block issues with the E32/E34 V8s that required engine replacements &#128516

That being said, the turbo V8 has been a much bigger issue. The N63 (up to 2013-ish?) was their first “hot-vee” design and had a long list of issues. They had a bulletin to revamp a bunch of stuff called the “Customer Care Package” - dual issue of excessive heat causing oil leaks/consumption + eating batteries. They’ve come out with a few updates - I had N63TU in my 2016 550 and it was trouble free for 3.5 years.
‘Fil: had you continued to own that v8 the 4th and 5th years might have been brutal, from what I can see from my neighbor’s experience.

So the new N63 successor engine —this also have a hot-vee design but somehow they’ve addressed this?

Why would you want a red-hot turbo impeller near your cylinder heads? Other than packaging.

Doesn’t this seem bad?

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote