View Single Post
Old 04-04-2017, 06:39 PM   #31
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Just some random thoughts after several hundred miles of ownership:

When JST turned in his E46 M3, I remember some of the reasons he had for disliking it; mostly, it was hard to enjoy in the everyday commuting environment, and it only got to be really fun at really illegal speeds.

I get it. There's plenty of horsepower and torque on tap, but you need to wind up the engine to really appreciate its character. This car is not super easy to drive at low speeds. Takeoffs from a stop are kind of clunky affairs if you're trying to accelerate slowly, and upshifts at lowish RPMs are also ungraceful. Downshifts are weird at low engine speeds, requiring more throttle than you'd expect to match smoothly. For that matter, the shifter (which maybe isn't aftermarket, after all) is not smooth in the first place, particularly when it's cold. Meanwhile, the wide tires and sporty suspension make for loud noises in the cabin, and even compared against other older cars, there are lots of mechanical noises that you have to accept as normal. I mean, it's almost 14 years old, and I'll readily admit to being less than the world's best driver, but I think my observations are valid.

Well, the weather finally decided to be nice to me this afternoon, 80ish and sunny. I very (im)patiently waited for the oil temp to rise as I drove away from the office, ending up at a light with no one in front of me and a 55 MPH speed limit. Windows open, radio off, and a couple of trips to redline reminded me why I love this car so much. Everything just falls into place as the revs go up, including that awesome exhaust rasp.* The clutch feels just right, the shifter slips into place perfectly, downshift blips are a piece of cake, and the car steers like it's reading my mind. Falling back to earth and rush-hour traffic, things still seemed somehow better, as if the car just needed to take a big breath and yell for a couple of minutes. It was a cathartic experience, a very necessary way to blow away the dregs of a trying day at work.

So yes, it's a little high-strung, and it doesn't enjoy tottering around from one city block to another. But I don't care. Hell, my other car is a truck.

*Yes, I seriously love the rasp. I'm curious to know whether a previous owner modified the exhaust at some point to reduce the rasp; my car doesn't seem to be as raspy as others, but it's hard to judge from inside the cabin. I'll figure it out in the next couple of weeks. And if it has been "fixed," at some point in the future I plan to install the Euro headers and cats, which should get rid of the second resonator that comprises most anti-rasp solutions.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote