Thread: Taycan reveal
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2019, 05:47 PM   #19
JST

It looks like a nice performance EV. Its specs, however, are disappointing. Assuming we're not going to see a range figure that really blows everything else out of the water, it's a smallish, 4 seat EV that used 93 kwh to travel less far than the (barely slower, smaller-but-with-more-usable space) Model 3 can go on 70ish kwh.

That doesn't mean it's a bad car, or even a bad EV. Performance cars aren't necessarily as efficient as non-performance cars. But it does suggest that the Porsche doesn't have any particular secret sauce compared to the rest of the VAG empire, and (perhaps most importantly) that Tesla still has a pretty significant lead in battery/driveline tech, fancy two-speed gearbox and 800V architecture notwithstanding.

Does it look worlds better than the Tesla? Certainly better than the Model 3, yes. Better than the Model S? I mean, that car is 7 years old now, so it suffers from being overly familiar. But I think the Model S is better looking. The dropping tear ducts on this car skeeve me out, and the ones with the smaller wheels look a little low rent.

EDIT: And, yeah, the price is stupid. Porsche has never been a value play, but their cars are actually pretty well priced against competitive offerings. This...isn't.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote