Thread: Fuck Tesla
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2021, 04:13 PM   #158
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
+2

It is also interesting that you rarely if ever hear of accidents involving driver assistance features made by other companies that have similar limitations and capabilities. While it is easy to point to individual cases and say "well that person was being irresponsible", there have been enough now that it seems to be pattern of people being overconfident in TEsla's driver assistatnce features. I know Tesla has toned down some of theiir rhetoric, but it still seems like they overhype these features too much.
I mean, putting Tesla in the headline guarantees a spike in traffic. I'm not suggesting this is some sort of media conspiracy, but I also don't think we should assume that just because we don't hear about other, less sexy driver assistance systems causing accidents that they aren't happening.

But, backing up: I think all of these systems are INCREDIBLY dangerous. I think any system that allows the driver's attention to wander, even a little bit, is a bad idea. Of course, systems like BlueCruise and SuperCruise that have driver monitoring are *better* than the Tesla system that does not, but unless and until you can reliably provide Level 5 autonomy I don't think you should be letting the general public use these systems.

Tesla's system is more dangerous than most both because of its lack of driver monitoring and because of the hype and misunderstanding surrounding it. That's a problem, and Tesla should correct it (or be forced to correct it).

With all of that said, if some dumbshit puts his car in drive and clambers into the back seat or whatever, that's...unfortunate, but also pretty clear driver error and not car maker error.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote