View Single Post
Old 01-07-2018, 06:18 PM   #15
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Everything disconnected and the engine crane (thanks Bren!) hooked up to the one engine lifting point. My floor jack is under the tailshaft of the transmission.

Gradually lowering...

Lowered onto furniture dolleys

And, out! Installation is not quite the reverse of removal at this point. But now I can at least start to take measurements.

It looks like what's been said by the few people who have tried this is true... the back of the cylinder head wants to occupy the same space as the firewall. But it's only about an inch. The taller 2.5 that will replace this 2.0L is another inch taller as well. But honestly, that's not bad news. The factory subframe has enough room to easily move the engine three inches forward, and if I ran a dry-sump oil pan I can lower the engine easily three inches as well. I'm probably speaking too soon, but this doesn't seem like it is the disaster everyone says it is.

I guess part of that is because I'm not going to use the power plant frame, a big heavy steel beam that ties the back of the transmission to the nose of the differential. So I'll need to make a custom transmission mount and have a custom driveshaft made, but... no biggie?
John V is offline   Reply With Quote