Thread: 911T
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2018, 05:35 PM   #21
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
I've researched that they aren't *too* bad for reliability. I believe the engines are Mercedes AMG sourced. A couple people had N54 e60s and said they were worse than the AMV8 as a reference. Granted, that is a very low bar, but one that many of us can relate to.

As far as driving, I don't think they can hold a candle to Porsches in true dynamics, but they are so damn pretty and sound so damn good, that I can convince myself to give away a few tenths of a second for style points. (Having said that, I've yet to drive one, so my dreams may come tumbling down when reality hits).

I think it’s subjective.

But yes, drive one. I think the v8 is too cammy for my liking, but it does cool. Nothing sounds better than a v8 usually.

Jeff can weigh in here, but I almost ‘never’ use more than 50% of the 996tt’s engine power. It’s just too much. And it’s damn near 20 years old. The new Turbos make this even worse.

Which is the appeal of the 911 T. It has enough power now so you don’t actually feel regret that you didn’t buy the S model.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote