Thread: Jalopnik
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2018, 09:43 AM   #5
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I looked at it for about 15 seconds the other day. The feed is still active. When the board goes to pull it, it returns an error that I have not had the time or inclination to investigate further.

I'm not sure we should bother keeping them running. A few years ago, they changed their feed to only return a few words instead of the full story, which killed much of the value of showing it here. More recently, the signal-to-noise ratio has seriously deteriorated with so many advertising/affiliate promo shopping posts and so few worth-the-time-to-look-at-car-related posts.

Most importantly, maybe, no one is looking at them any more and they are not generating any discussion. It was one thing when the STN ratio was high and the posts generated discussion, but that time is past.

I'd just as soon stop pulling all the RSS feeds.
Agreed.

Maybe keep a sub-forum for news-related posts with permanent links to Jalopnik, etc.?

The only fear I have is that this being a low-transit site, despite the terrible STN, sometimes those prompt some discussions, and without them the participation may go even lower.

I'm probably just overthinking it. You'd think something would exist out there to filter RSS feeds to more focused subjects/key words?

I sure don't want to add work to anyone, so I vote for whatever is easiest. But it is a PITA to see 25 new threads and most of them being of low to no value.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote