View Single Post
Old 05-12-2018, 11:59 AM   #326
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
You'll be replacing your S?

Those 18" aero wheels are awful. That's not a lot of tire though. You want a bigger wheel than that?
Yep. Replacing the S. Its a couple weeks shy of 5 years old, and I just clicked 87.5k miles yesterday (on the way to service…). I could wait another 6 months or so to replace it, but I don't want to risk losing the full $7500 tax credit on the 3*. I know I'll get the credit if I take delivery by Sept, but we won't know until late June or July if the full credit will be avail through Dec. Plus, Musk tweeted that they know it will take 6 months to fill all the Dual Motor demand (a lot of people have deferred orders so far) -- so getting the order in when they open up next week should get it earlier in the build queue and help ensure delivery by Sept (I'm guessing it would be in Aug since dual motor production is now slated to start in July). I also want to avoid a Tesla built for delivery towards a quarter point -- just too many horror stories of quality issues for cars delivered in the last week or so of a quarter. My S was a May build and has really been great.

As for the wheels. I have 19's on the S and they've been great -- which use a 245/45 size tire. For the 3, the 19's are 235/40, while the 18's are 235/45. Has anyone had pothole issues with 40 side profile tires (since I now live in pothole country)? I'm thinking they should still be OK...

* Tax credit info: Tesla will hit 200k US deliveries in either June or July -- which triggers the tax credit phase out; the full credit is avail for the remainder of the quarter when triggered, plus 1 full quarter after that. The credit then is cut to $3750 for 6 months, with one more drop to $1875 for another 6 months before its gone. Everyone is speculating that Tesla will manage US deliveries to hit 200k in July -- for example, Canadian deliveries started yesterday. But they still could hit 200k in June.

Last edited by ZBB; 05-12-2018 at 10:26 PM.
ZBB is offline   Reply With Quote