View Single Post
Old 04-13-2018, 10:25 AM   #1791
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Has anyone besides wd had a latest gen (2013) forward boxster s. Looking at the 2013’s and the prices are right. Love the updated interior and better tech. Looking for opinions of people that have driven one. Obviously taking about the 6 variants.
See:

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=123093

Any questions?

Options that I like:

- one of PASM or x73. The latter (passive) is a bit more fun to drive, the former is better on rough roads. Either beat the standard suspension (IMO)

- one of sports seats or powered seats. Likewise, after my five year base seats experience with the Atlas Gray car, I'd like either bolstered sports seats, or cushier lumbar supplying power seats. Mine happens to have the 18-ways, which is both. I do think the 14-ways are comfiest.

- PTV. Diff. Not sure how much it shows up in the real world, I still lack for rear grip with P-zero's below 65F. Can comment again when I get back on Michelins. I like having it, but making it a requirement will severely limit choices.

- PSE. I don't have it on with the top up, minor thrum/boom. Top down, I do like it. However, I wouldn't make it a condition. Car sounds great as it is with it off (better than 987.2's).

- S/C. Steering weight is better on sports mode. Not sure it's that crucial otherwise.

Things I like:

- Faster than 315hp would indicate. Not sure if it's torque, weight or underrating, but seems about even with 350hp rated base 991 (same 3.4L).

- Much better brake feel than 987 generations.

- Comfier roomier interior than 987's.

- Perhaps better 6-speed manual than 987's (though clutch engagement in both 987.2 and the 981 is worse than 987.1)

Things I don't like:

- Parking brake. Stupid location, push instead of pull, etc. etc.

- Missing rearview camera. Would really help in reversing. Really, previous owner, after $91k MSRP you skipped this?

- Steering feel is less compared to 987's hydraulic. It's good for "electric", but something has been lost. Too bad, as much has gained on chassis and brakes.

- Pet peeve: S/C on sport or sport+ and PSE on, too many fake and loud pops and crackles. Having owned a carbed bike, I don't need a simulation of one.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote