View Single Post
Old 03-15-2018, 12:14 AM   #50
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
After work I drove a Tacoma, Canyon, and Ridgeline.

Tacoma: Terrible. The seat and seating position are just ridiculously bad. This truck is made for people 5' tall. I can't believe they put such shit-box seats in a 30-40k truck, and I can't believe so many people buy them. The saleswoman tried to get me to drive a 4runner because it has better seats. I sat in them and they were indeed wonderful compared to the tacoma.

Canyon - I really like these to the point I was almost ready to hear what kind of numbers she could do for me. Apparently it's pretty easy to get $4k or more off MSRP. Two things are blocking me. 1) seats are mediocre at best. 2) She took me on a long test drive part of which was on a wet, bumpy, slippery dirt road. While in 2WD driving straight and accelerating gently, the locker would sometimes engage and the rear would immediately kick out sideways. While fun, it also illustrates the gross mismatch between the technology and what 99% of the people use it for. (99.99%?) It feels like 1970's technolgoy. I suppose dropping it into 4wd would fix things (I didn't have time to go back over the road) but still, it seems like the wrong diff unless you're actually off-roading. And even the off-roaders prefer a switch to avoid the jerking when they kick in.

Ridgeline It's really incredible what Honda created here. This thing drives like a car, and has nearly the utility specs of the other compact trucks. It's also huge inside - it's almost as wide as a full-size truck. But somehow it was boring as f*ck. Zero passion or excitement. And it's butt-ugly too. I want to want it, but I just can't get excited about owning one, no matter how illogical that is.
You should buy a Cayman instead.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote