View Single Post
Old 01-07-2020, 10:15 AM   #13
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
He sounds like a tool. You can drive the car without navigating menus. If he wants to dick around on the screen, or use a cell phone while driving, that's on him.

I guess people will see the big screen and claim the design encourages it. But is this really Tesla specific? My Colorado also has a fairly elaborate infotainment that allows navigating all sorts of menus and apps (weather apps, etc) while driving if I wanted to. The screen is smaller but this doesn't make it safer. If anything it might be the opposite.

Both vehicles (and even waze in Android auto) disable some functionality when the vehicle is not in park. How much policing do we want down this line, vs personal responsibility? I'm not sure how to best draw this line. Hell, we could make cell phones not work when they're moving more than 10 mph if we wanted to police this aggressively.

On waze on Android auto, you cannot access the keyboard to type a name of a place you want to go unless the vehicle is in park. If you're driving and your passenger wants to type "Lowes", you have to pull off the highway and put the car in park. Or alternatively you can unplug your phone, the music stops, you let it disconnect and shut down all the apps, then you start waze on the phone, search for Lowes, then reconnect the phone and fire up waze again on the car.

It is a miserable and maddening experience. I cannot see this being the type of solution we decide to go to solve distracted driving.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote