View Single Post
Old 12-30-2019, 06:01 PM   #9
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I mean, back in the day people designed houses with only one or two outlets per room. Nowadays there are many, many more.

The tricky part is making sure the house wiring is designed to support the load, but in new construction/rehabilitation that's easy enough to do. Same principle applies to parking, especially where you've already got electrical infrastructure.

Is it an easy problem? Yes. Is it cheap? Not especially, but then again, burning fossil fuels ain't free, either.
Our first house in the DC area only had two prong outlets on the upper level. Was never sure the third prongs were actually connected to ground, though. So, yeah, I get that.

Can existing streetlight infrastructure handle the load of charging cars, too? Or would it be cheap and easy to upgrade? And even though you're tapping into the streetlight infrastructure, it's not like there's a streetlight for every spot on the street or in a parking lot (many garages are a different story), so you still need to add a lot of stuff to have places to put the chargers when they're not in use, etc.

Installing and maintaining millions of chargers (and method for attributing billing) that will sit idle almost all of the time seems like it would be wastefully expensive and inefficient to build out. That doesn't mean it won't turn out of the be the least expensive and most efficient way to solve the problem. Robots aren't cheap either.

I'm sure there's something. I'm not sure anyone's thought of what it is yet.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote