View Single Post
Old 09-22-2021, 09:01 PM   #242
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
This might be an easy answer, but do you think Carvana is lowering its standards on cars that it will re-sell because supply is so tight?

I’m curious about this in general because dealer lots are so sparse right now.

When I was at the dealer earlier today for an oil change (free) —they were parking the vehicles in diagonal to “fill” the lot which is normally a rectangular grid of vehicles so it would not look empty.

I have never in my life seen something like that on a dealer lot.

Carvana and Vroom are definitely retailing older/higher mileage cars they might have passed on a year ago. But so are local dealers. At this point they will retail just about anything that rolls down the road on its own power without the wheels falling off (so long as they can get it to pass a state inspection &#128516 since it’s either that or they turn off the lights and go home.

As for empty lots, I actually have seen it before. During 2008 when gas prices were insane and everyone wanted to dump trucks in favor of high mpg cars, I was running a MINI store and we got to a few points where we were all sold out. I remember the day we had literally one car left on the ground - Mellow Yellow MCS. Someone rolled up in a H2 and was desperate to not have to fill up the tank one more time. Hated yellow, but we basically said - do you hate it enough to wait xx months for the next unsold car to come in? They drove the yellow car home that afternoon. 😄