Thread: X3 x30e
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2020, 04:50 PM   #14
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
The 5er was a 2019, I think. It was brand new last year, and likely had been pushed into loaner service bc no one wanted to buy it.
Newest one should be incrementally better--more get-up-and-go and slight longer range:

"For 2021, the plug-in hybrid version of the BMW 5-Series sport sedan, the 530e, might no longer be the slowest-accelerating model in the U.S. 5-Series lineup.

That might sound petty, but it's an important step forward to prove the worth of a format the automaker has a lot of its future invested in. BMW has ambitious targets for plug-in hybrids and EVs and even sees a future fully electric 7-Series as being the fastest one.

The 530e’s 0-60 mph acceleration time drops down to 5.7 seconds, which is now 0.1 or 0.2 seconds quicker than base 530i models. While it’s not the quickest in the lineup (that nod goes to the 540i and M550i models), that fixes at least one of the ways in which the plug-in hybrid just didn’t make much sense—although it’s still nowhere close to a cheerleader for the performance potential of going electric.

The 530e is powered by a 181-hp inline-6 engine, and a 107-hp electric motor that is packaged together with the transmission and clutched between the engine and eight-speed automatic transmission. With the addition of XtraBoost, which electrically adds 40 more horsepower on demand—when the accelerator is pegged, in Sport mode—maximum power from the hybrid system gets boosted to 288 hp, with 310 lb-ft of peak torque."

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...electric-miles
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote