View Single Post
Old 01-04-2015, 08:46 PM   #1026
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
I updated my Tesla log spreadsheet today, which happens to be exactly 19 months since delivery. Here's some tidbits:

Odometer: 29,653
Total energy used: 8,681.8 kWh
Efficiency: 292.9 Wh/mile -- that equates ~125 MPGe

I also track my Supercharges. After yesterday's day trip, I've now Supercharged 42 times at 24 unique Supercharger sites. 3 sites close to me (Wickenburg, Cordes Junction and Flagstaff) now have 3 visits each. Here are some stats on Supercharging:
Total Rated Miles added by Supercharger: 4,815
Estimated kWh added by Supercharger: 1,444.5
Average Supercharging speed: 123 miles added per hour of charge
Average Supercharge duration: 56 minutes
Average cost per Supercharge: $48 ($2k option / 42 visits)
Average cost per kWh: $1.38 (so ~21x the cost of charging at home…)
Average cost per rated mile added: $0.42
Since the cost was one-time, the average cost will continue to go down with more supercharges. If I keep the car for just over 4 years, the option would have cost $50/month -- so less than one tank of gas per month of ownership.
% of total miles added by Supercharging: 16.3%

Excluding Superchargers, the car has used ~7,238 kWh. Most of that was charged at home, some was via public chargers and a few charges at either my parents or in-laws. We pay about 6-7 cents per kWh at home, so the total cost of charging at home was under $500 -- for the ~25k miles I've charged at home. That's 2 cents per mile for fuel cost!

If I combine the Supercharger option and the ~$500 for charging at home, my average cost per mile for energy is about 8.5 cents per mile. For comparison, a car that gets 22MPG (which is what my previous 2 cars averaged) would have fuel cost at $0.09 for $2/gallon gas.
your numbers are impressive.

they match the numbers my colleagues around Kendall Square get in their Volts. they are equally fastidious about both recording these data as well as sharing with me.

there is a clear benefit in moving to electrical power.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote