Thread: Range Rovers
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2017, 11:22 AM   #13
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Great, I was waiting for the actual LR/RR owner to chime in. Yes, that's the engine I had in mind, but I haven't driven any LR/RR. The rides I got were a v6 TDI in the RRS in Europe and I think the old v8 in the RR here.

Nav is basically irrelevant these days, other than screen/connection options.

Do you have air suspension? Does the LR4 share more with the RR or the RRS? I hadn't looked at LR4's as I don't ever expect to need 7 seats. Would definitely like the rear diff lock, surprising how many snow/ice piles I've hit parking around in our tight neighborhood (and this one would live outside along with the 535i, my indoor spots are sports car sized).
Yes, all LR4's get the adjustable height air suspension. For what it is, my anecdotal experience from forums is that it is surprisingly reliable (though not bullet proof). The compressor is the weak point if any. Also it's location leads it to being crushed when the vehicle is lifted if people are not careful.

The RRS is based off the LR4/LR3 chassis/frame, so it will have more in common with that. The Top Gear review (Clarkson) of the then new RRS mentions this.

A main reason I bought the LR4 is because for the amount of volume it offers it is a very short vehicle (a foot shorter than most in its class). It's just tall and boxy so it looks larger. The rear cargo area (with seats folded) is large (and tall) enough for me to change in relative comfort. I love my LR4.

Also, you sit VERY tall on this SUV. You can see over everything (including huge snow banks). The LR4 has lots of glass all round, which is nice for everyone and makes people in the 3rd row feel very comfortable.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote