View Single Post
Old 08-17-2019, 11:34 AM   #20
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I never quite understood the m3 purchase.

It's hard to see them as direct competitors. A high-spec but hiding a real punch under the inoffensive / prius-exterior Model 3 and a shouty M3 are just apples and oranges. I guess our future is electric, and is here, just unevenly distributed... All the praise doesn't make me run out and get a Tesla though. I didn't want the m3 either (and have yet to drive the f80). I'm perfectly satisfied with the b58 340i in everyday driving. It could ride/handle a bit better; that's about it. Interestingly the guy I bought the m-performance exhaust from talked about how he missed his 340 as a daily now that he has an M3 ZCP.

I could see Cara considering something like a Chevy Bolt when the time comes to replace the GTI. That is up to her. I do like that, unlike Tesla but like the Germans, they state conservative range figures. I guess it's the difference between being wisened, burned middle-age company that is trying to return a margin vs. a tech wonderland financed by investors. Buying a Tesla is absolutely worth it in terms of $$'s and cents, you are buying subsidized by the investors (who may or may not get their dreamed-of return). Just like riding Uber & Lyft, no one, not the driver nor the company, has to make money as long as the the future looks semi-bright. So yeah, the smart thing to do is keep taking the rides. They have done horrors for NYC traffic though.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote