View Single Post
Old 07-09-2020, 02:00 PM   #47
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregE_325 View Post
I wouldn't want to go through any serious mountain passes with it. Had I known that we were going to be taking on this new "hobby", I would have gone for the 3/4 ton instead. In fact, this truck didn't even come with a trailer brake controller. I've used a Curt portable module to get the trailer home and I'm having the OEM controller installed on Friday.

I've also been looking at diesel F250's for the past few days. I've only had the Ram for about 4 months, but perhaps next year if we are enjoying the RV lifestyle I'll get a bigger truck.
When we were looking at getting an RV, we were already seasoned campers with LOTS of experience using a tent. We knew that it was time to get an RV to make the camping experience more fun and comfortable.

So off we went to go check out a pop-up trailer. There was a barely-used one on sale on some parking lot. The owner was there and we decided to check it out. After going through and inspecting it, we decided to buy it from him after excessive haggling on the final price. He wanted a cashier's check, so my g/f and I go to the bank. On the way back, there was another car in the lot. So we go and talk to the owner only for him to say, "Sorry, but this guy just showed up and offered me a better price and he's paying with cash".

We took that as a sign that the pop-up wasn't meant to be, so off I go on another research on RVs.

I decided that while pop-ups are nice, Class C motorhomes (the ones with a van chassis) were even nicer. Imagine driving down the road, and then having your Significant Other go to the kitchen and fix you a sandwich for you to eat while driving and checking out the scenery !! After weeks of research, a 24-footer would be THE best length for our needs.

So we check out a few Class Cs. The thing I didn't like about it was the stupid overhang above the driver/passenger roof. It was kind of wasted space, because if you're claustrophobic, you are SOL if you have to sleep on top of that bunk.

I then decided that while Class C motorhomes are nice, Class A motorhomes (the ones that look like rolling bread boxes) were even nicer. Imagine driving down the road, and then having your Significant Other go to the kitchen and fix you a sandwich for you to eat while driving and checking out the scenery out that YOUUUUUGE windshield !! After weeks of research, we decided that a 28-30 footer would be ideal, since some national parks do not allow anything over 30 feet.

Long story short, we ended up with a 27-foot Class A.

It's true what they say: Sometimes you have to "buy your last RV first", lol.

I guess it's somewhat similar to thinking about buying a Miata, but end up with a Camaro or Mustang.

2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Last edited by 3LOU5; 07-09-2020 at 05:37 PM. Reason: edit
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote