Thread: Summit Point
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2020, 03:20 PM   #27
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I'm surprised there isn't more cracking-down on illegal tax avoidance schemes like the Montana plates thing. I guess when you're rich enough, the rules no longer apply.

Cool on the track day. I feel like I remember seeing track-day posts from you more recently than 2012 but I guess not. I'd have to go through old photos to be sure, but I think my last track day was in 1999, not including karts.
It's frustrating, on the tax stuff--Virginia law applies to cars "garaged" here, not just registered here, so in theory you can and should pay taxes even on cars registered to Montana LLCs (or your beach house in Delaware or whatever). And Virginia does have inspectors that look out for this; I got tagged with a ticket in 1998 when I was here for the summer and my car had MI plates.

But, as with everything else, the rich are different. If you park your car on the street or in an apartment building lot (like me in 1998), the inspectors can find you. If you have it in a garage or off-street somewhere, it's a lot harder for them to ID it as a non-conforming car.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote