View Single Post
Old 11-19-2006, 01:26 AM   #7
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Hey Kevin, any time. I think you're about 20-30 miles from my house, right? I'm just down the road in Kenmore, WA.

It is and it isn't an adrenaline rush. Most of the time we're traveling at a mind blowing3 mph! But it's a challenge to see how far you can push yourself and your Jeep. Like any course you're dealing with traction between the tires and the ground and where you want to position your vehicle and what line you want to take.

Where you get an adrenaline rush is when you get yourself in to a very tricky situation. Last time I was out I climbed up a rock ledge but just couldn't quite make it over the top. But backing down would have been too dangerous. As it was, I backed up within 3" of a 5 ft drop and gunned it. After 4 of these attempts I finally made it but it was almost a total change-of-underware situation.

There's not much high-speed action but roll-overs are actually surprisingly common. I've almost done it 2-3 times in the last 3 years (once almost rolled into a lake) and I've personally witness others roll about 8 time in that time span. I'd seen 3 rool overs once within a 24 hr period.

I always equate off-roading to problem solving: first you have to create a problem. . . then you can solve it.

Bottom line is that it's plain cool to be out side way out in the middle of no where, you and the machine, feeling how the Jeep is moving, feeling how the tires fight for traction. It's just good.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote