View Single Post
Old 06-23-2019, 07:23 AM   #30
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Glad it worked out.

I'm still trying to figure out whether a windshield claim impacts your premiums moving forward. When I cracked the E46 windshield 2 years ago I paid out of pocket. It was only a couple hundred bucks and having the rates on 4 cars go up was too risky to file a claim.

I hate car insurance companies. I've been paying car insurance for 25 years, never filed a claim, and my rates just keep going up. The law requires me to pay for every other idiot's accident for all these years, and to pay for the insurance company executives to get rich.

/rant.
I think you know i’m an insurance broker so here is my 2 cents. A glass claim is not going to get you non renewed but put in enough claims and they will count it against you. So in other words if you put in a glass claim and then another claim occurs when it comes time to renew they might tell you that you have 2 claims in the past x number of years and they do not want to renew.

Insurance is for big losses that really hurt your pocket so I think your smart paying out of pocket for the windshield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Idk. My feeling is that I kind of don’t understand how car insurance companies make money. I’ve made a total of...$40K in claims? And yet my premiums are seemingly unaffected.

Thanks rumatt for subsidizing my insurance! And kids.
It sounds like you are talking about a physical damage claim(s) and believe me that is not where the huge cost comes in for insurance companies, the Liability coverage is where the big spending for insurance companies comes in.

Under the liability section there is the cost of medical bills, lawsuits, damage to all the property the at fault party caused, etc.
The legal costs alone to fight a lawsuit can get to be ridiculously high and we all know what a hospital bill can climb to.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote