View Single Post
Old 01-24-2006, 08:38 AM   #1
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
e90 330i sport - WOW

Perhaps it was the low expectations (after testing zhps and m3's ad nauseam)...

It is a great car.

Pros:
1. 255hp, it's really there
2. Solid, quiet body structure
3. Good ride (e46 zsp like or better)
4. Good in turns (e46 zhp like). This is the clincher - did not, could not push that hard but I felt little lean and no protest. Grippier chassis.
5. Short travel clutch and smooth shifter (better than stock zhp)
6. Comfy and good seats
7. Xenons and logic7 standard

Cons:
1. Slightly strange steering - not terrible but not as alive as zhp
2. Feels gimmicky at first - like being in a computer (esp. with nav package)
3. Don't love looks though I might warm up with time
4. Guessing but still felt the ghost of cdv

Overall it's clearly a better car than the e46. Those prices I called 'good' yesterday on my other thread, I'll have to rethink. If this car is around 40 new, the 04/05's better take a pay cut. Purely in a financial sense, being out of my e46 lease with little penalty makes even more sense now.

I'm not sure if the zhp or the e90zsp is the better sports car, on say the topgear test track, I might put my money on the e90 although it's slightly less communicative and less go-cart like. The suspension feels better sorted and the power is better. Everyday driving, it is certainly better than zhp or M.

Last night's car is not right one for me. The wood didn't work with black and it didn't have CWP or premium. The nav I don't need as I have a great garmin. However, there are some cool features with the nav... Like seeing your oil/tire and even brake pad information on a display! The chimes are in chords like those of the latest cellphones so yes it's a bit unnecessarily futuristic. Anyway, whether one loves it or not (and there's a lot to love) it is sure killer for e46 values.

I'm even more confused now. Can still go back to zhp for right price but my bids are going to go lower. M? e90? I don't think I have time to do ED though that would be the right way to buy this car.

Last edited by equ; 01-24-2006 at 08:55 AM.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote