Old 07-25-2017, 12:30 PM   #1
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
535i brakes - need advice

At 49k miles, my f10 is showing:

rear pads: 2000 miles life
front pads: 12000 miles life

Rears need doing. Additionally, perhaps due to rust, the front rotors are warped (confirmed by my tire shop who measured with some rotating tool). I'm just going to go ahead and do all 4 rotors & pads.

- Would like to do this at an indie. Research shows that the rear electro parking brake can be retracted mechanically (there are videos on this) but my first shop did not want to touch it. I don't want this to be a dealer job, have two more indies to try.

- What else do I need to order? A screw for each rotor? Two sensor wires for front & rear?

- My e39 came to me with Zimmerman rotors. I'm not sure if they soft bite, but they never rusted. The f10 rotors are shite. I'm thinking of going Zimmerman for the rotors and OEM or OEM-Equivalent (Textar?) for the pads. I'd like to keep OEM feel for the street. Any thoughts?

- I will start shopping ECS, Turner, Pelican and maybe one other place to see what the whole shebang comes out to. I need to do it this way because an indie shop quoted $1600 parts & labor some time ago and I think there is room for improvement there.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote