View Single Post
Old 07-14-2022, 08:27 AM   #452
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
The state of my short block for the past two weeks. Rings gapped, cylinders honed, measured and cleaned, bearing clearances measured. Crank, oil pump, rear main seal installed. So basically all of the time-consuming work has been done. It just needs pistons. I've been waiting on them for a month. They were supposed to ship last Friday, but the manufacturer encountered delays in final machining. Now they're supposed to ship (overnight) on Friday, to get to me on Saturday). I'm not holding my breath.

I leave for Toledo on Wednesday, with or without the car.

I'm kind of excited about this engine. It's now an Ecoboost crank (which is forged, 94mm stroke rather than the 100mm stroke of the cast 2.5 crank). Same 89mm bore, so it's now 2.34L, down from 2.49L. Pistons are now 2618 forgings, much stronger than the prior pistons. Upgraded to Ecoboost sodium-filled exhaust valves. It should make as much power as the last one. It might make a little less power from 3500-4500 RPM but I was always limiting boost at low RPM anyway since it would just knock the tires off. The shorter stroke gives me more RPM headroom. Safe upper limit should be 8500 RPM now - don't think I'll ever go there, but being able to routinely spin to 7500-7800 would be really nice.

Also new engine mounts, something I CAD'ed up and bought from SendCutSend.com, then welded up. Much nicer than my old hacked-together tubular mounts.

JV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022 MZR.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	431.7 KB
ID:	14947  
John V is offline   Reply With Quote