View Single Post
Old 09-29-2016, 10:03 PM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Stupid to hold on to eGolf post lease?

This is more of a thought exercise...

I know that this is far to early to consider and that by the time the eGolf is due to be returned (Jan 2019) its range will be horribly bad compared to new tech. But given the "low" buyout cost ($13.0k), the low projected miles (15k?) at lease end, and the fact that we hardly ever worry about range given our use, I'm wondering if it would make any sense to keep it as an nth car.

Ideally, by 2019 we'll have an SUV, a sedan, and possibly even a sportscar. The question is if we hang on to the eGolf purely for sub-5 mile drives (already 80% of what it does). It would probably see 3k miles a year, so it would be many years before the battery would hit the projected ~80k-mile battery end of life.

Maintenance costs are zero, as are consumables other than tires, really. My wife loves it.

Also, judging by current used eGolf prices, it may be worth far less than $13k in used car market (low mileage 2015's are in the upper teens). Perhaps it can be negotiated lower still.

Of course, you have to assume that say 5 years from 2019 the resale on that car will be zero. The ROI is in keeping it forever as an nth car. The big question mark is reliability. If something (batteries) craps the bed a year past the warranty the whole car may be worthless right then and there.

The used EV market dynamic will be really interesting to see develop of over the next couple of years.

EDIT: Battery warranty is 8 years/100k miles.

Last edited by FC; 09-29-2016 at 10:26 PM.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote