Thread: E90 ENGINE WOES
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2006, 10:49 AM   #1
iiotoko

Carmudgeonly Ride: BMW E90
E90 ENGINE WOES

My friend and I picked-up identical E90s (330i) in Germany this past November 2005. After about 150 miles his started missing and shaking at idle. It was late at night so they they dispatched a mobile BMW assistance guy who diagnosed it as either electrical or mechanical problem involving the #2 cylinder. We took the car to the nearest BMW shop and left it overnight for more 'expert help in the morning. They called the next day and reported that the car was never taken out of "traffic mode" when it was delivered so the battery was not charging sufficiently and at a certain level computer began to malfunction and that is what caused #2 cylinder to not work. Taking out of "traffic mode" and charging battery fixed the problem and we drove 1500 miles without further problems before shipping back to US.

Back in the USA, at 3000 miles the his car's engine developed a ticking sound that varied with RPM whether engine was cold or warm. The BMW dealer in Sarasota (after consultation with BMW of North America), determined that the probable cause was a faulty exhaust camshaft. They opened the engine and said there was a visible defect on the exhaust camshaft related to the #2 cylinder. After 8 workdays, they are still waiting for all the parts from Germany to get it back together. I been stuck driving a Buick loaner.

Anyone out there heard of anything like this? Is there a relation between the initial electrical problem with #2 and this later mechanical problem with #2 or is this just a coincidence? Any advice how I should handle this?
iiotoko is offline   Reply With Quote