View Single Post
Old 10-15-2018, 09:02 AM   #19
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
The 981 exterior is a lot better to my eyes on the Boxster. I'm not sure it's such a leap on the Cayman. The 981 interior is a bit more comfy than the 987, but the 987 interior has simplicity going for it.

The 981 has much better brake feel and maybe somewhat better real world numbers as well. On the 987, I had occasional ABS going silly on bumpy heavy braking with loss of feel and increased distance ("ice"-like). The 987 brakes won't feel like that short of major things like changing the master cylinder. The 981 has the chassis edge, calmer and widened.

The 987 has two big things going for it. It's gearing is slightly lower (gears are same, tires are 1" less in diameter) and it's steering is livelier. Together they make the car as or more fun to drive. IMHO.

I don't regret my 981S, it's more like a super car and overall hard to beat. I was also looking for good value in 987.2's when I shopped for it. I also wanted to do something different. The boxster's looks improved a lot with the 981... But, if I were shopping today, especially for a cayman, I'd look hard to see if I could get a deal in the 2009 to 2012's. For a runabout, even the base would do. The 2.9 is torquier (but not quite as revvy) as the 2.7 that followed it. Combined with the lower gearing and excellent steering, it's great fun on the road.

The 981's brake/chassis strength comes out in the numbers. It matches the 997 GT3 in braking ft and in side g's. Hard to believe, but measured.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote