View Single Post
Old 05-07-2019, 09:45 AM   #1208
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I rode in a Model 3 performance a couple weeks ago at an autocross. It was really badly driven, but the underlying abilities of the car were kind of amazing. It had very poor body control (needs shocks badly) but it did not feel like a 4,200lb sled. It transitioned pretty well and seemed relatively well-behaved, and in Track mode the owner could slide it around a lot. The grip was impressive, and even with the awful shocks it comes with, it transitioned pretty well. I don't care about the autocross competitiveness of the car, but the ride-along provided good insight into the playful nature of the car. It's worlds beyond the Model S, which always felt ponderous and reluctant, like an electric Buick.

I really didn't like the interior at all, it felt and looked really cheap to me and had some stuff that was slapdashed together 1990's GM-style, but the view out was outstanding. I still think they're heinously ugly on the outside, but I drive a Mazdaspeed3 every day so clearly I don't care that much about how my car looks.

I left that event pondering whether I could be happy doing the daily slog in one of those. It would let me sell the Mazdaspeed and the Boxster (maybe $35,000 in total proceeds from those cars) but I'd still end up with either putting down a big pile of cash to complete the purchase or carrying a loan. Neither of which I want to do. It did not feel like a $55,000 car. Marisa's CX-5 is much better built and has better materials inside. But I'm still thinking about the 3.

For sure. I think it starts to make more sense at the lower end (sr+ for high 30s). Mazda is killing it with their interiors recently.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote