Thread: Golf Alltrack
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2020, 01:42 PM   #33
clyde
Chief title editor

Not sure if the CVT in the Crosstrek is the same that was in our 2013 Oubtack, but...

I did not hate the transmission. It was the first CVT that seemed to work like a CVT is supposed to and it was pretty good at it. Much, much, much better than earlier CVTs in other cars and (like planet and solar systems in front of any CVT Nissan has done).

And everything was great until at six years and 130k it threw a bunch of transmission codes and learned that when it starts throwing those codes, it's about done. When it goes, it's not really fixable because there are no parts. It's not cost-effectively replaceable because there are no reman units. Used ones are really hard to find (I looked and enlisted a few other people to help), and when you do find them, it's like taking a second shot in Russian Roulette without spinning the cylinder since all the Subaru CVTs of that generation are likely to go bust. To make used ones even more enticing, when they are findable, they're almost as expensive as new ones, which are about $3k.

Subaru loves them so much, they've extended the warranties on that generation and the previous one and have special hotlines setup for them.

But I'm not bitter.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote