View Single Post
Old 06-23-2019, 06:24 AM   #7
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Just skimmed the article. As someone who has driven electric for approaching 100k miles over 6 years (including close to 20k miles on road trips stretching from coast to coast and from the Mexican border and into Canada), that article is just BS.

Mentioned a Tesla owner was “lucky” to arrive at a Supercharger with a single open stall. That’s BS. I’ve supercharged nearly 200 times in 6 years. I’ve waited for a Supercharger twice, both on the same day in 2014. It was right after the Tesla club weekend event with over 200 owners and was at the 2 nearest Superchargers to that event... Tesla has very high usage Superchargers, particularly in CA, but they have also built additional capacity to help out. And since they now charge (“free” was a mistake), you don’t hear the horror stories as much.

For other EVs, the charging networks are years behind Tesla. VW’s Electrify America is building out and helping to allow road trips. One of their sites is close to my hours - and i5 looks finished, but has not been powered on (work completed about 3 months ago...). As these come online, it will make other brands of EV feasible for road trips (assuming they have range over 200 miles)...