Thread: For NIck
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2017, 12:09 PM   #15
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Dunno. I borrowed Mike's 335i (he's out of town) to see how I like driving the N55 in the city. So far, the answer is that with a manual transmission, I HATE it. In my driving, it's lag city. And the turbo kicking on comes as a big pulse that's not actually welcome. (Granted, he's got a big tune on it, so the turbo behavior is more aggressive than it would be stock.)

I actually think that I'd like a 328 better so far. Out in Fairfax or on the highway, it's a completely different driving experience. In the city, though, I'm always falling off the bottom of 2nd because the gearing is too tall, and the throttle response is terrible. Also, I got 13mpg on my commute this morning, so it's not like the fuel economy would be that much better.
The B58 Engine is MUCH smoother. When I get into the spouse's turbo 8, I have to feather the throttle to make sure I don't snap my neck. The 240 is NOTHING like that. That said, my old 328i delivered power in a old-style predictable NA BMW way, albeit a bit sluggishly.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote