View Single Post
Old 10-08-2014, 08:17 PM   #17
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Agreed that highway cruise is the E61's strong suit. I never warmed up to the suspension tune, though; it always felt too floaty to me, even on the highway.

The comfort seats are a HUGE improvement. It would be worth seeing if you can find them second-hand and retrofit them, if you are going to keep the car for a while. I particularly like the adjustable side bolsters (the car hugs you when you get in) and the adjustable thigh bolsters (I always feel like car seats are too short in the bottom cushion).

The gen 1 or whatever DVD-based nav I had in my 2008 didn't really bug me. In some ways, it was better than the fancy pants nav in the Tesla. But I can see how it would be frustrating compared to a current gen nav unit.
I've thought about keeping an eye out for comfort seats, but we just settled on our new lake house (I'll post something on that in a different thread later), so discretionary spending money is tight right now. Ultimately, I'd like to find a set of comfort seats and swap to the newer I-drive system, but that's at least $1500. Wife has (smartly) made it quite clear that money will be directed to furnishings and new house costs. I told her we could use the old seats as furnishings, but she didn't buy it. We'll revisit in the spring after we have a better feel for true costs of two houses.

The nav wouldn't be nearly as bad if I didn't have the newer system in the car I primarily drive and am constantly reminded how much better it is.

I tried to get a picture of the seat vs steering wheel distances of the 5 vs 1. I'm not sure if you can tell in the picture, but the 5 has 3/4" and the 1 has 2+. The difference is enough to let me not have to shuffle steer when parking in the 1 vs hitting my leg every rotation in the 5. If I raise the wheel and flatten out the seat base, I'm not as comfortable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide1.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	9685  
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote