Thread: Dial 911
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2024, 10:02 AM   #5916
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
This is the same as I did with the C8 though I also did what they call the boomerangs which is the black things on the doors.

I would agree that you don't need to do the whole car but in the case of the 911 I would do the rear hips, I noticed on mine I had a lot of rock chips in the part just in front of the rear wheel. I don't know if they still have the factory stone guard film on the 992 like the 991 had but it was really not even close enough to protect that area.

Also right behind the rear wheels, the fender gets chipped up, on the C8 I have the Factory splash guards on both the front and rear and it really helps protect the car and you don't even notice they are there because they blend into the car.

BTW I see the same area on my Cayman getting some chips though not nearly as bad as the 911 ...

The rear hips are fully covered with the rocker panel piece. It is one piece. After install they install a new piece of film similar to the film from the factory on top so you have double protection on the wide bodied hips. It generally works well with the 8 mil film, but with the 10 mil there is a lot going on so we are going to have to revisit that and come up with a better solution as I do not like the way it looks. I am also going to add the full roof PPF as I do not like the 1/4 line above the windshield and A pillars. It is highly visible every time I open the driver or passengers door and it drives me nuts! Again, this is due to the film being thicker at 10 mm.

I have nearly 400 miles on the odometer. The car was delivered with 36. It arrived from Port Jacksonville with 32 miles. We are planning to run it up to the Smokies today as it is supposed to be a beautiful beautiful day with mid 70s temps.

So… I guess the big question is am I in love with it? Not really… overall it is just okay. If my ownership makes it passed the break-in period we will see if my opinion changes, but having to stay below 4000 RPMs for nearly 2000 miles is killing me! I will state that it is absolutely mind blowing how well the rear end stays planted in some tight twisties. The short shifter from the GTS is brilliant. The EPS is crisp/sharp. One would be hard pressed to know it is not hydraulic.

Edit: If I had to choose between my 997.2 Carrera and the 992.1 Carrera T, I would hands-down select the 997 every time. I still greatly prefer the size of a 997 as well as it being naturally aspirated and fully analog. If the next Gen 911 (994) grows more than the 992 I cannot foresee ever owning one.

Porsche 994-generation car due to debut in 2028 as the successor to the 992.

https://drives.today/news/1277/futur...e-911-994.html

Last edited by SCA; 03-30-2024 at 10:25 AM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote