View Single Post
Old 03-08-2017, 08:34 AM   #30
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I didn't have PASM on either of my 987's. The cars felt plenty sporty but perhaps I didn't know better. The 987.2 had a marginally better ride than the 987.1 (different tire pressures too). The 987.1 had better sound and much better clutch feel. I did test drive a 987.1 with PASM later (not shopping for myself but on behalf of a friend). The ride was a good bit smoother, but I couldn't get a feel for handling as we were slipping plenty on that icy day. Think of it as a comfort option mainly, I don't hear them break too much. In back-to-back drives, I did find that, on the 981, the PASM was not only more comfortable, but that the base suspension had a bit of side float on transitions that I liked less. The x73 is the most fun, no doubt, but a good bit harder even with 19's (which I also drove). It was good on a cayman, did not fit a boxster at all. I'd certainly not kick it out of bed. More like a Cayman R suspension. A good bit harder but the damping quality is apparent.

I think you should decide 987.2 vs. 981. I think you should restrict to 2009+ for the DFI/non-IMS engine. If the roof rack loss is not a big deal, the 981 is a pretty broad improvement over the 987 in my view. Feels faster, wider up front, great chassis, brakes and cabin. The slight hits in steering feel, taller tires and e-parking brake hardly figure.

Even the base somewhat low torque 981 boxster is awesome driven hard. I drove it back to back with a nicely kept up 993 and it wiped the floor with it in regards to performance driving. Then I looked up some numbers and saw it matched the 997 gt3 on 60-0 braking and side g's.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote