View Single Post
Old 03-07-2017, 08:52 PM   #22
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Then I realized... other than the engine noise (which included the higher pitch noise which I guess is the intake?) it was quieter than expected for a convertible. There were a few rattles but it didn't have that "is there a window open?" feel like when I've driven miatas.
Modern premium convertibles are nothing like topless cars of yore - I often think of my car as the perfect two-fer, I drive it all winter top-up where it's comfy and warm, and relatively quiet - there's no flapping and in the case of the BMW, not even a squeak or rattle from the well-fitted top. All the normal BMW qualities are there; great shifter, ride, handling, strong brakes and on the e46 zhp, great steering.

When spring comes, it's like I bought another new car - the top goes down and there's a whole season ahead of top-down fun; night drives during summer, top down, great exhaust sounds and smells (except for dead animals smells ...). The car is transformed as is the experience.

A modern Boxster would be the better choice between it and a Cayman, imo. Two-seaters as verts are hard to beat, and the new Boxster actually looks nice, too - avoid the largest sized, lowest profile wheels and stiff suspensions for driving up here, though - my next car will have a normal suspension and thicker profile tires. My 2 cents.
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote