View Single Post
Old 05-11-2018, 11:58 AM   #33
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Ugh.

I have the AF 300/4 and the AF-S 300/4. Love the handling of the former, but it's almost useless by hit rate (and by that, I mean that I get about equal outcomes with MF vs. AF). The latter is just too big and heavy. (Not longer, but much, much thicker and it weighs a lot more.)

If only the D850 was cheaper. I want more megapixels than the D500 can offer. It bothers me to not have a meaningful pixel "premium" vs. the 5K iMac.
Yeah, I don't think I'd buy the D500 again. But it is handy enough to have that I'll keep it. According to KEH is still commands a decent used price. Its usefulness for me is having two bodies close at hand. Currently, I leave the 24-70 2.8 on the D850 with the small flash on the hot shoe for domestic animals around the house (including my son). And the D500 has the 300 on it for backyard bird opportunities.

The D850 margin for focus is pretty razor thin, so I'm not sure your hit rate would improve much with the 300 lenses...But it's decently fast with and without the grip to provide more opportunities for focus.

Maybe Clyde needs to move this up to the photo forum...
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote