View Single Post
Old 10-02-2018, 02:23 PM   #2200
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
But..why?

I mean, I get that that might be more convenient, but why is it necessary?

There are right now only 3 DC fast charging networks, anyway--SAE Combo, CHAdeMO, and Tesla. The Tesla network is light years beyond the others in terms of build-out, but I suppose in theory you might see a big upswing in SAE Combo cars over the next few years. I guess there's also the Porsche charging standard, which may or may not be compatible with other VAG cars.

But if there are a profusion of landlords willing to allow these facilities to be built (and there are), and you have GPS to tell you where the stations are (and you do), so what if there are a bunch of incompatible standards?
If the context of the argument is that, eventually, plug in EVs will be the norm.

Short term, proprietary charging networks are a needless barrier to entry and a consumer resistance point. The idea that this will not be standardized some day is nearly unthinkable.

It always seems like there's an assumption that everyone will charge their cars at home every night, so charging stations will only be an occasional need, like on road trips. That works for people with dedicated or exclusive parking areas that can be equipped to charge. And that probably covers over 95% of current plug in EV owner use cases. But you all are in a bubble.

Where do people that do not have exclusive parking areas fit in? When, where and how do they charge? Those charging stations are going to be their primary method. They're not going to be willing to drive to the other side of town to spend an hour charging up. They're going to want/demand a charging station on every other corner where they can plug in for a few minutes to give them enough juice to run a few errands, make a commute cycle or two, and then do it again.

Electricity is a commodity as much as gas or salt. Getting the electricity from the generation facility into the car's battery is the same trick no matter what the manufacturer. Is it a good idea for industry to reinvent a massive infrastructure wheel 30 times over (or however many manufacturers there are) at billions or more each time around? Are consumers going to willingly pay for that?

Fortunately, we don't have to worry about Porsche charging more for Porsche Brand electricity than Chevy charges for their electricity because if history has taught us one lesson over and over again, it's that businesses always operates in the consumer's best interest and never tries to force consumers to pay inflated prices when they are locked in without choices.

So, free market, laissez faire, woo hoo, whatever. I don't think you make it to the tipping point without standards. It's better for the industry, it's better for consumers, it's probably better for governments.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote