View Single Post
Old 09-10-2018, 09:32 PM   #638
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Here’s an initial review - drove about 30 miles this afternoon/evening

It’s great. It feels like a Tesla, but makes the S feel like a fat pig.

I took one of my normal ways home coming back from Tesla to the house - which is about 11 miles, with only about a mile on freeway. It definitely feels faster than my S (theoretically, this 3 is only 1/2 second faster 0-60 than my S...). I can also feel the extra traction up from from the dual motor. But it has some rear bias to it — the rear slipped out a bit when I made a left turn onto a quiet street with a nice straightaway and I punched it. It feels very solid when driving, steering is good (more firm than the S in sport, so I’m trying the mid tier setting for now). It’s also quieter than my S - less road noise and less hum from the motor.

Not having any display in front of you will take a little getting used to, but the display works well. The screen is noticeably smaller than the S, and Tesla made some significant changes. All the basics are similar, but things are in different places. It doesn’t have some things the S had, like an energy usage graph, calendar (synced from your phone — supposed to be added to the 3 “soon”), and web browser. But it works.

Autopilot completed calibration after about 20 miles, so I used it on the way home from dinner. It’s like an advanced cruise control — speed plus steering, with automated lane changes by holding the turn signal stalk up or down. I didn’t have any of these features on the S, so I’ll be learning how to get comfortable with the tech. But I like it so far. I also tried out Summon in a parking lot — moved the car forward while standing outside it. That could be good for pullling into a tight parking space (or out if someone parks annoyingly close).

I’ll drive it to work tomorrow, so will get a feel for how it works in traffic.