View Single Post
Old 10-07-2018, 11:26 PM   #790
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Is it really comparable to the M3 in terms of paint, build quality, tactile feel, etc in addition to driving dynamics? What I've read says not at all [edit- including your post just above]. But I haven't been in or driven either. The M3's price also comes from the history of the brand. The 3 comes from a brand with a lot a promises from in a short period that from one man that are only partially realized.

The car is obviously worth what people are paying, because otherwise they wouldn't.

I haven't driven a new M3. It's comparable to my E90 in those various categories (other than the key, which is dumb). Of course, the E90 has it's own...quirks. Ask Nick about those. Mine never ate an engine, but it wasn't exactly trouble-free--none of my BMWs have been. My guess is that the F80 will eventually be shown to have them, too.

The thing is, the Model 3 is one of the fastest accelerating 4 door cars in the world right now, while also being one of the most efficient. It's fun to drive in a way that Teslas haven't really been to date; the Model S was a big and satisfying car, but it wasn't fun in anything but a straight line.

What's that combination of attributes worth?

It's funny, I think the Model 3 Performance is something of a bargain, given its capabilities.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote