View Single Post
Old 08-27-2018, 09:39 PM   #542
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
I went in one more time to drive the performance AWD, to make sure I really want to do this. It was a longer test drive this time, and I drove the Cayman there so the comparison was back to back.

1. The Model 3 on 20" wheels is significantly more comfortable on bumpy roads than the Cayman R on 18's. The Tesla has half an inch less sidewall and it's still shockingly comfortable. I'm not sure how, but it is. From a ride quality point of view I'd take the 20's on the tesla. It's the $5k cost, questionable pothole durability, and inability to use other rims that bothers me. But I'd say 19's are a no brainer.

2. The steering in the model 3 is weird, and not in a good way. I won't say it's a total abortion like new BMW's, because it doesn't have a big floaty dead spot on center and then a bizarre non-linear resistance that fights you mid-corner. The Model 3 steering is tight and consistent in feel. But even in "standard" a) there's a lot of steering input required to turn, and b) it's very sensitive. I'm guessing I'd get used to it, but the steering isn't exactly a relaxing experience. I found myself having to work harder than I expected to drive smoothly and keep the car pointed where I wanted it. On "Comfort" it's pretty awful - the steering becomes soft yet jerky at the same time.

3. Regen braking is just fantastic in traffic. It's really strong, so if you look ahead just a little bit you end up not having to use the brakes until the very end.

4. Shit, yeah the car is fast.

Getting back in the Cayman, the reaction was:

1. Normal steering again... YES!

2. Whoa that intersection didn't feel that bumpy in the Tesla.

3. Damn, this car is slow.
The 718s would solve Cayman problem #3.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote