View Single Post
Old 08-27-2018, 08:25 AM   #525
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
The thing I really worry about with any Tesla is reliability and repair cost. I haven't looked into this in a year or more but at that time it seemed like there was very little you could do yourself, getting parts is a pain, etc. Tesla expect you to have them do all of the work.

Ken's Model S was in the shop six or seven times during his (year and a half?) ownership period. One of those times they had to remove the entire interior of the car to fix a TPMS issue. One time they replaced the entire drive unit. Had the car not been under the factory warranty there would have been tremendous cost for those repairs, even if just to cover the deductibles.

I'm far from an early adopter (having never bought a new car in my life) but it seems to me that being an early adopter for a new manufacturer is a really risky endeavor.

I agree 100% that electric is the way to go for commuter cars. I just want some established manufacturer to make something affordable and interesting (aka, not a Chevy Bolt or a Nissan Leaf) before I sign on.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote