Thread: Oscar
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2021, 02:33 PM   #9
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I probably should left some buffer on the Summit map, but we're going to be a lot closer to the edges there on a regular basis compared to the closest we ever got to the curbs at FedEx. The three main skidpads at Summit are only 50' wide.

But that's another item worth mentioning. Things happened at FedEx over the years, but they were rare. Off-pavement excursions at Summit will not be.

Why not both? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Was it fully dry when you ran two weeks ago? I wasn't there, but it sounded like ti was wet in the morning, dried out a bit, but maybe not completely before it opened up again right after the event?

Sunday, it was sunny and dry when we ran, just starting to get cloudy as we finished our heat. Kevin and I saw a few peaks of 1.2, barely touching 1.3. Through much of the course, Kevin was consistently pulling about 0.05-0.07 more than I was. For each of us around the far skidpad, we were barely over 1.0 sustained and it felt slick. The data more or less confirmed seat of the pants feel.

I know that tires, surface and me were all factors, I just don't know how much of a role each one played relative to the others. Not sure if we will be on stickers in two weeks or if we're saving them for NJ.
The UMI track was wet initially but I was running on Michelins. By around 1PM it was almost completely dry and sunny and it didn't rain all all the rest of the time I was there. I want to say I swapped to the Hoosiers when it started to really dry out, maybe noon-ish. At one point I did five back to back laps (including accelerating through third around the banked turn exiting the finish of our cobbled-together course) and there was nearly no heat in the tires even after that.

I'll be on stickers for NJ, but they're stickers I won in 2018 (!) So... hopefully they're OK?

Last edited by John V; 04-21-2021 at 02:47 PM.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote