View Single Post
Old 12-20-2017, 12:05 PM   #44
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
The latest nav system (particularly the voice recognition) is so good that it's a much better experience than fumbling with my phone. Inevitably, my phone will not have service when I need to put in an address, or Siri misunderstands me, or it loses it's GPS lock while I'm driving and goes through various re-routing shenanigans. I cannot wait to ditch phone-based navigation. Overall, idrive 5/6 with nav is the feature i'd be most excited about in a new BMW.
What did you like about it? I found it really frustrating and slow to enter in an address. It didn't have real-time traffic data and re-routing. The display was nice, but that's about it. Admittedly I didn't try voice recognition... but we were going from Steamboat Springs, CO to Denver International and by the time I'd typed "Den" into Google Maps it had offered DIA as the first result. All while my dad was fumbling with the iDrive controller trying to find the airport.

I can't say I've ever had a GPS issue or a lack of service anywhere with my phone in the last five years.

FWIW I thought Siri was just about completely useless when I had an iPhone, but that was the first generation with Siri (4S?) and I'm sure it's improved since then.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote