View Single Post
Old 11-17-2021, 10:52 AM   #394
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Thanks Alan! Always trying to improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
When I saw Sam's video, the downhill left towards the hard objects kinda sketched me out.

There's clearly a good bit of distance from where turning should end before you'd reach the wall, and I'd probably talk myself into being okay with it in the dry. But it was much colder than this weekend or wet, probably not. Was kind of surprised to see that setup.
So... I was not a huge fan of that configuration, for that reason. It was even sketchier in the morning, when we came from the other direction (running the track backwards).

You can't tell because of the wind noise (my remote mic came un-stuck and so it was in the airstream from the window) but I did not get hard on the throttle coming into that area with the concrete wall. I got on it a bit to point the car, then went to about 20% throttle until I got to the bottom of the hill (where there is a huge bump), then went back wide open. I also drove very conservative lines, and stayed well off the curbs. My car doesn't get unsettled very easily over the curbs but that's the number one reason people wreck at these events; they hop a curb, the car gets sideways and they don't correct fast enough.

I need to learn how to use RaceRender or something else that will overlay data from my RaceCapture onto the video. The way this car builds speed is crazy, at the fastest part (turn one, at the end of the long straight) I was doing 115 and that was only using part of the front straight, and after coming onto the front straight at ~ 35MPH. Interestingly, in the vid you can see two black tracks coming onto the front straight out of the low speed left-hand corner... those are from the ZL1 camaro on A7s that was in my class. He was working hard to try to get ahead of me on the day
John V is offline   Reply With Quote