View Single Post
Old 04-12-2006, 02:30 PM   #9
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by iateyourcheese
I remember when Chrysler took over Jeep from AMC and everyone signaled the end to their offroad prowess. Maybe I'm jumping the gun like I did back then, but a Jeep that shares a platform with the Caliber is silly.
I agree with you. I think it is ridiculous. . . but then everyone was crying end of the world when the TJ ('97-'06 wrangler) came out with coils spirngs and a comfier ride. Turns out it was a fundamentally better offroad suspension that made a huge difference in trail prowess vs. the previous leaf sprung Jeeps.

So, I don't want to jump the gun and just knee-jerk reject it (similar reaction to the new Toyota FJ), but what I'm seeing isn't good. If I remember reading, Jeep is developing one or two "entry level" RAV4 / CRV type vehicles for their line up. Which I think will be structured this way:

Compass / Patriot - entry level CRV / RAV4 type vehicles, basically a more rugged econo box.

Liberty - step up for a more robust vehicle that's a bit bigger and offers good on-road handling yet isn't too big.

Grand Cherokee - You know where this fits in. More of a luxo cruiser that has Jeep's top end traction control systems and interior finishes.

Commander - BUFF of a SUV going after H3 / H2 sales (I think)

Wrangler - Jeep's hard core fun machine. A focused off-road package available with HD axles, beefed up transfercases, hose-out interior, lockers, low gearing and big tires with a convertible top, fold down windsheild, and removable doors. The vehicle type Enzo Ferrari once called "America's true sports car." (is that a compliment or a snub?)

Now, whether this line-up makes sense time will tell. But there seems to be a greater dillution of the core Jeep essentials. Evan the old XJ's (regular Cherokees) did very well offroad (better than the Liberties that replaced them).
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote