View Single Post
Old 04-12-2006, 12:47 PM   #7
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by iateyourcheese
You'd better hope Lupinsea doesn't see your post. I'm sure he's digging the Jeep Patriot, too.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...9004&Profile=0

That must be some Jeep.
Oh, you wound me.

It actually hurts to see some of the moves Jeep is making. They've made their reputation for capable off-highway vehicles. It may be market forces or a recognition of actual usage but it's sad to see Jeep moving farther away from their off-road / utility heritage.

On another note the completely new for 2007 Wrangler is looking good. After looking over the specs, studying the photos and looking at pictres of the under carriage it looks like they are making it even more capable off-road than the previous 1997-2006 Wrangler. And the '97-06 Wranglers were some of the most capable off-road Jeeps built. The '07 Wranglers come with: Stronger axles, 100% stiffer frame, continued use of a seperate boxed steel ladder frame (no unibody!), continued use of solid front / rear axles, better clearances, removable fenders, more storage, beefed up transfer cases, plus a whole bunch of other off-road goodies.

Personally, I'd go for the 2 door short wheel base version as it'd be muuuuch more manuverable on the trails. But it's good to see a 4 door Wrangler. The thought of having a 4 door family hauler with front / rear solid axles (yes, they're desirable off-road) and a roof and doors that come off is very apealing. I can just see how good that sucker would look with a 4" lift and 33-35" tires.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote